Thursday, December 22, 2005

Making changes, but not resolutions

It's funny that tonight I decided to give the Adsense thing a try. Its the ad above the first post here. Adsense is supposed to be a smart spider that can tell what I am posting about. Too bad my blogs consist of randomness, kidnappings and searching eBay for art. Think it can make ads up for 'randomness'? Right now, it still has the option for people to type in what they want to search for, which I think is nice, actually. I mean, how am I supposed to know what they want to link to off of this stuff?

I guess this is a tipping point of artists utilizing their media while balancing making things work (or ends meet). This holiday season I bought all the gifts for family on the plastic. What a depressing feeling. Totally broke, buying more. And more. And more! Some people are like, "You should make something. You're an artist." I tell them they should shut the fuck up and go write some fucking song they've been thinking about making for the past five years while they bitch about being a starving artist.

I often have the philosophical debate on whether or not there are some aspects of the art-stuff that are actually appropriate for pop culture markets and retail. There are artists that work in multiples. What if one works in a lot of multiples to the point they can't even fathom it. I suppose fashion designers, product designers or any other designer-sans-fabricator person has that feeling. What about the hands on artists performance artists that can't really contract themselves to making 1,000,000 of something. Ever tried to count to 1,000,000? Bet you 10cents yuo can't.

Again, my friend Marc Horowitz thought of this a while ago with an office project he created a while back. Putting artists in the office and making them create corporate creations. I created a project with Brian Dunlop, Garret Smith, Nelson and Kreanonymous for establishing an art "job". One of those deadend things for now where we are finding the envelop between what is "art" and what is "selling out".

And that's why Brian Dunlop makes Art history.

jgabriel.org
PIPS

No comments: