Friday, February 23, 2007

First look: Apple offers 802.11n, and a wireless wow

First look: Apple offers 802.11n, and a wireless wow

I've been thinking about how to upgrade our current wireless accounts at home and this article definitely helped me clarify a few things. I run a Mac and my girlfriend runs Windows. Sometimes, I am also running Windows on my Mac for 3D software, so I need a network that can go both ways very easily. I have also been wanting to set up a network drive so we can share simple things like photos to website files. This new Airport station seems to be the answer. The USB port can handle an external harddrive (it could always be used for printers, which is great) and it is now running on a lot of different frequencies and clearer channels. In NYC, there is a lot of radio frequency traffic and sometimes even with a base station close by, the signal can be lost. This technology, while kind of dorky, is really a good solution for laptop households that are mocing files back and forth and are always on the internet. I might just try to get one for myself.

No comments: