Tuesday, December 05, 2006

The Architect

The Architect

I came across this through the Quicktime movie trailer site. I guess there was a TV show "Heros" that had something to do with this, but I was interested because I am finishing an architecture project now about public housing in New York. This film appears to be about Cabrini Green in Chicago. Eventually, the residents were displaced and I do not think this was a good solution. But this film protrays a community activist that wants to tear down the projects.

Interesting undertones surround the Architect and the protagonist, architect. Understanding who people are is essentially what all of the messages convey, just in different points of view. The architect cannot see these variances, even within his family. Therefore, it calls into question how he can design housing for people if does not understand them. I find this pertinent with what I have seen this semester at Columbia's studio. Many projects are beautiful, but how much do the architects care about the well being of the people that will live there?

No comments: