Saturday, December 09, 2006

Video Bomb - Young Agrarians

Video Bomb - Young Agrarians

I posted this to Video Bomb when I found it on Media Rights, on the Democracy Video Player. (Ooo, getting so high tech!) So, I urban farming really interests me from a moral and social standpoint. Much like the 100diet, I think food processing needs to be local. On average food travels 1500 miles before it gets to you. (Read a UK Study that calculates this and the Co2 emissions) A lot of waste occurs in this process. In Providence we had the West Broadway Neighborhood Association that would support local agriculture in Rhode Island. I'm not sure what the Manhattan equivalent to that would be, but seeing how everything on this concrete patch is imported, I can't imagine that it actually helps anything.

My architecture project this semester had a third of the project dedicated to an urban farm with residential units surrounding it. Building upon an existing farming and slaughterhouse industry in Jamaica, Queens, we designed something a little cleaner - what you see in the Young Agrarian movie. Of coarse, we were blasted for this by the architects at the review. I, however, think it is a perfectly valid design (I'll post it on my website soon enough). This video and the increasing vocalization of this necessity further prove my point.

No comments: